Friday, August 19, 2011

Welcome Back to School!

It's hard to believe that summer is over and we've finished the first week of our new school year already.  I hope that you all enjoyed your iPads this summer and have become more comfortable using them.  I discovered so many new applications and had so much fun with mine.

We have completed the process and been approved for the volume purchasing program and are ready to start purchasing apps for you.  Nine of you requested ProLoQuo2Go to download and use with non- or limited-verbal students.  For those of you that aren't familiar with the app, it is very similar to many of the communication devices used by some of our students - and at a much lower cost.  It allows children to tap pictures to develop sentences that will help them communicate their wants and needs.  The application's website offers several great introductory videos  - click here to view them.  I would encourage those of you that have the app to go to the website and sign up for their newsletter - they are beginning to offer free Webinar's for new users.

My hope was to develop a process (i.e. for those of you who know me, that means FORM) for purchase requests, but I haven't made it to that point on my To Do List yet.  In the interim, I would ask that you send me an email of the top 5 apps that you would like the district to purchase for you, and include a BRIEF rationale of how you will use the application with your students. PLEASE be sure to comment on the blog about great applications that you are currently using, or after we purchase them, so that others can benefit from them as well.  On the flip side, warn us away from apps that you've tried and dislike.

Finally, I would like to know what your training needs are.  We've purchased 20  more iPads to distribute, so another "beginner" session will be offered, and you are welcome to attend if you need it a second time around.  I'm thinking that many of you are ready for an "intermediate" session where we can talk about advanced applications, short cuts and have an opportunity to share favorite apps.  Post your ideas on the blog!




No comments:

Post a Comment